Fulbright post project review
Well done me. I put in my scholarship application to Fulbright. So before I go back to the world of applications in December for my business school it’s useful to think how I got on with this one.
In other words, I have a think about what went well, what I could improve on, and not do again.
What went well
- Handed it in on time.
- Took time off work to do essays.
- Asking for third-party review from several people.
- Getting it proof read to check for grammar.
- Doing the faff (uploading my transcripts etc) in advance. Was stress free at the end.
What could have been better
- Writing good essays. It took a long time and a lot of work.
- Selling myself. I struggled.
- More research into Fulbright up front would have been helpful.
- Burning the candle at one end. Working to midnight everyday for a week not helpful with the stress and sleep front.
- Not being clear about the process. Ie when can I print off the form and hand it in.
- Not chasing my references sooner. Phoned up the night before and one went…reference, what reference?
- Needing to ditch GMAT study for a week. Not good when I have an exam at the end of the month.
Takeaways for application season
- Get the faff done early.
- Do your research into the uni’s early.
- Ask for feedback on essays earlier.
- Know the application process better. Can I press submit before references?
- Better chasing of references.
- Need to sell myself better!
Impact on me
I am really pleased, I didn’t get so stressed to make myself ill. Good job. Downside is that I ended up sleeping for 14 hours on Saturday evening and missed my friends party. The process exhausted me. I need to assume that sitting the GMAT will do something similar and I will have to expect to sleep for 14 hours on the weekend after the exam. So no socialising plans on the weekend after my GMAT, maybe no hockey either. Boo!
- Arrrgh! Deadlines and Fulbright (sarahmbajourney.wordpress.com)
- Ambition and Fulbright (sarahmbajourney.wordpress.com)
- Quick update 2 (sarahmbajourney.wordpress.com)